Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

This Week - 03/08/17 - The Gang - Christmas in March - Toast - Summer Girl

THE GANG 

I stopped by the office where I used to work this morning and saw my old co-workers. Not to say any of them are "old" but you know what I mean. It was good to see everyone and visit the place where I used to spend most of my days. I didn't stay long because they all had work to do...but not me!!

CHRISTMAS IN MARCH

My sister texted me this past week to let me know that we would be getting a package from her and her partner. She wouldn't tell me what it was, so I had to wait two long, agonizing days until the post office delivered it on Saturday. It turned out that she had put away some things she bought us for Christmas last year and had forgotten about them. When she came across them a couple of weeks ago she decided to send them on to us, so Linda and I had Christmas in March! It was great to get a package from her (always is) and especially to see what kind of goodies she came up with. This package certainly did not disappoint! In the package we each got a mug for our afternoon tea, plus two new Christmas ornaments which we immediately put out on display. Also included was a 300W Power Inverter to use when we go on trips. That is a device for charging your cell phone, tablet, etc. I didn't know what it was either so I had to "GTS." Perhaps the most exciting thing to me was a strap to fasten my Fitbit around my ankle so I can get a more accurate count of my steps. It seems to be working because I've gone over my goal for the last four days. And last, but not least, was a package of Shishito Pepper seeds from my sister's garden. I can't wait to get those planted and see what Shishito peppers are like. Below are some pictures of our stash from Christmas in March.
A bird mug and a cat mug
Fitbit ankle strap.Check out the Christmas socks
A little video of the Christmas ornaments in action



TOAST

I think I've already mentioned that one of the most enjoyable things I have done since I retired is baking bread. There is nothing quite like a loaf of home-baked bread, fresh from the oven, slathered with real butter. This week I decided to bake a loaf of breakfast bread. Here is the actual recipe from my favorite baking website, King Arthur Flour, and they call it English Muffin Toasting Bread. This is the BEST bread for making toast because it has all those little nooks and crannies in it, just like English muffins. It's a very easy recipe, and just think...in a little over an hour and a half, you could have a nice warm slice of fresh bread! Here are some of my pictures of the making of this wonderful bread.

Above, before baking.  To the right, after baking. YUM!
Look at that wonderful crumb!
Breakfast is ready

SUMMER GIRL 

 Last week I failed to put in an update on Summer Girl and I heard from her in no uncertain terms! She wanted me to let everyone know she is doing very well with her transition into the house as she is in and out most of the day and evening. She still likes to spend the night in her own little bed in her house on the back porch, though. She also has gotten into romping around the yard again now that most of the snow is gone. But she does love her recliner time with her two mommies! Here she is hogging Linda's spot on the recliner.

Living the life of Riley!

That's all for this week, hope to see you back here again next Wednesday!




No comments: