Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

NATURE WALKS ~ ROCKS ~ GARDEN UPDATE ~ SUMMER GIRL

NATURE WALKS


We have been trying to take a walk in some sort of natural setting every weekend, since the weather has been nicer lately. Last weekend we took a walk down at the Arboretum. There is a bird blind there and it's always fun to go stand behind it and watch the birds, even though we usually just see sparrows, juncos, and the occasional chickadee. I'm pretty sure this little guy in the picture below is some type of sparrow, but I'm not sure which one. Do any of you know?

Sparrow

 As we walked around we noticed there were a few trees starting to get blossoms on them, most notably a couple of witch hazel trees. The blossoms on this tree were gorgeous so I had to get a picture.

Witch Hazel

This past Saturday we went to the Yakima Greenway again and walked along a different path. The temperature was probably in the mid 40's but the sun was out so it was very nice. We took a short walk down one of the paths that ran alongside the river. After we had walked a little way we came to a wooden bench and decided to take a rest for a few minutes. There was a bit of a nip in the air because there was a slight breeze blowing. But the bench was out in the sun and so we sat there and warmed up a little. The river was flowing along right in front of us with the sun bouncing off it. It was so nice to be outside in nature, enjoying the warm sunshine...especially after the long winter of never-ending snow.

Yakima River

ROCKS


If there is one thing that I really like about the Yakima area it is the fact that there are a lot of rocks everywhere. They are especially abundant along the river. I don't know if these rocks were here naturally or if they were brought in as a barrier against the river rising, but they are everywhere you step. I decided to try to find a heart-shaped rock. I saw quite a few that were almost heart-shaped, but none that met my requirements for a proper heart-shaped rock. However, I did see a couple that caught my eye because of their color, so I picked those two up. I love the red highlights in the first rock, it makes me wonder what caused them. The second rock had a yellowish tinge to it with some mottled black areas. There were many other interesting rocks but I just picked up two because they were both rather heavy.


My intention is to collect rocks from our walks and make a rock area in our back flower bed. I will be in charge of that area this summer, in addition to the vegetable garden. So I've decided I want to do a little decorating to it. Stay tuned for an update on this.


GARDEN UPDATE


Spring has almost arrived in Yakima so that means we will soon begin planting our garden. At least I will begin planting some seeds in containers inside the house to germinate, as it is still too cold at night to plant anything outside in the ground. I received my seed order this week and that has really gotten me in the mood to plant things. I even got outside one day when it was nice and sunny and started pulling up weeds out in the garden area. I didn't get very far because my back started hurting, but at least it was a start. I find that I need to get myself slowly acclimated to doing yard work after spending the long winter cooped up inside. I am hoping that we will have more sunny days soon so I can get out there again and get some more weeds up. There are certainly plenty of weeds to choose from!

Seeds Are Ready to Go!

SUMMER GIRL


My blog would not be complete without an update on Summer Girl...at least, that is what she tells me! She has pretty much completed her transition to part-time indoor kitty and things have been going well. Since she is a Black Ninja kitty, she is hard to keep up with. Linda and I find ourselves searching for her and wondering if she is in or out. If she can sneak into one of the bedrooms she does like to hide under the bed, so we try to keep those doors closed. But it is nice having her come in and sit with us and visit while we are having tea or watching TV. Below is a short video I took of her while she was sitting on my lap. If you are in a quiet room and turn your speakers all the way up, you can hear her purring.



That's about it for this week from the Yakkie City. Check back again next week to see what we've been up to!



No comments: