Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

HAPPY EARTH DAY ~~ WHAT'S HAPPENING ~~ MY MOTHER'S PEONY ~~ 24th AVENUE WALL ~~ PARTING SHOT

HAPPY EARTH DAY


Today is the 50th anniversary of Earth Day! I vividly remember the first Earth Day back in 1970. It was a time of much activism and raising our awareness on many different things. It is amazing it took us until then to pick out a day to celebrate our Earth. I mean, it's the only planet we have (so far). I remember I got an Earth Day flag decal from somewhere and stuck it on my car. I was still a senior in high school so I guess that made me think I was cool! Anyway, it's good to think that Earth Day has survived this long, and that the Earth itself is still here. We are still here with it, although I am sure that our planet is enjoying this brief time of respite from all of our bad behavior as human beings. This past week we have had absolutely gorgeous weather here in Yakima. It has been warm and clear, with high temperatures reaching the mid-70's a couple of days. That means it is perfect weather for taking a walk, and although we are mostly just walking around the neighborhood now (because there are no crowds there), we still try to do it every day. Along the way we usually see some very pretty yards, and I have stopped to take a few pictures of flowers.


These "candy-stripe" tulips in a nearby yard were just begging to have their picture taken. When we stopped to do that, I also spotted something else up in a tree.


This yard had a pole with about 5 or 6 bird feeders right under the tree. I suppose the hawk was looking to find his breakfast there. After all, he's a bird...and they are called "bird feeders," so I guess he is entitled.

Tulips abound around Yakima this time of year. They are so pretty, and there are countless varieties of them. We saw this unusual looking tulip in a yard close to our house.


Right down the street from us there is a gorgeous tree that was in full bloom. It looked like a pom-pom tree. And the bees were all over it, flitting about from blossom to blossom. It always makes me happy when I see a plant or tree with bees on it because we desperately need to keep our bees alive.




WHAT'S HAPPENING


Our allotment of birds in the yard seems to have increased lately. This past week I noticed that we had a large flock of White-Crowned Sparrows visiting both of our feeders. These are the little guys that we call "Biker-Helmet Sparrows" because they look like they are wearing bicycle helmets. You know, the old style of leather helmets from like the 1920's. You can see what one of those looks like by clicking on this link here. Then check out the video below and I'm sure you will agree. Also, we have had almost daily visits from our resident California Quail couple. When I was watching out the front window, I couldn't see the Mrs. at first because she was behind the big leaves of a tulip plant. I figured she was nearby because Mr. always keeps her close so he can protect her. She soon appeared, and it looks to me like she is getting pretty hefty, so either she has gained the Covid-15 (kind of like the Freshman-15) or else she is carrying some eggs. I am hoping for the latter.



MY MOTHER'S PEONY


Every year, my friend Mike back in North Carolina sends me a picture of this peony. It is one that he dug up from my parents' house in Lumberton when it was sold. He planted it at the house he and Scott lived in on Walnut Street, and I guess when they moved from there a few years ago he must have dug it up again and planted it at the house out in the country, where they live now. Anyway, it is absolutely gorgeous and I am so glad that someone that I know has my mother's peony in their yard. I remember when she planted it, she was so happy to finally have a peony among the many plants in her yard.



24th AVENUE WALL


There seems to have been a lot of activity at the painted wall along 24th Avenue here in Yakima. We walked past it a few days ago and it looked like there were lots of new offerings. I took pictures of a few of the ones that I think are new and made this slideshow below.



PARTING SHOT


Summer Girl is still engaging in her favorite pastime...napping. I couldn't resist taking this picture of her last evening as she was stretched out on my lap, snoozing away.


At least there is someone else in the family who is more energetic...



That's all for this week, my friends. Join me again next week to find out what is happening here in the Pacific Northwest! Hang in there a little longer, better days are coming.




No comments: