Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

FINALLY!!!!!! ~~ PARTING SHOT

FINALLY!!!!!!


This past week, something happened that I have been waiting on for weeks...I saw our first hummingbird of 2019! On Cinco de Mayo Sunday, Linda and I were sitting out on the front porch having our cocktails when all of a sudden a hummingbird flew up and went to the little red seed feeder that Linda got for her birthday, to check it out. The red color attracted him to the feeder, but he couldn't get anything out of it because it's not for hummingbirds, only for birds that eat seeds. He then flew over to our colorful wind spinner and looked at it briefly before flying off. Luckily, I had already put my hummingbird feeder out in the back yard, so I was hopeful that he would go back there and find it. Sure enough, when I was out on the patio grilling our supper, I saw a hummer dart by. I immediately ran inside and got my camera. Soon he came to the feeder and I was able to get a pretty good video of the little fellow. It looks to me like he's a male immature Rufous Hummingbird.



Also, while we were sitting on the front porch we saw our resident Scrub Jay. He's the western equivalent of the Blue Jay we had back in North Carolina. He's not as colorful as the Blue Jay, but we take what we can get out here.

Scrub Jay

The birdies didn't seem to mind us sitting right there only a few feet away from the feeder. There were a few brave souls who ventured close to check us out. This cute little female Sparrow perched in the lilac bush and gave us a good once-over.

Female House Sparrow

We even got a visit from the male Golden-Crowned Sparrow. I've only seen one of these little guys around, and I bet it's the same one who was here during the winter. The female looks a lot like the female House Sparrow except she has a bit of yellow around her eye. I have not seen a female around here, but there could be one that I haven't seen yet. I hope so for this little guy's sake.

Male Golden-Crowned Sparrow

We've had a lot of really gorgeous days lately, and the weather has really taken a turn for the warmer. I guess it is time to say goodbye to Spring in Yakima because our extended forecast for the coming week shows most days in the high 80's and possibly even some 90's. Hello, Summer! On Saturday, since it was such a beautiful day, I decided to take a few pictures of flowers with my iPad. That's always a good decision because it's quick and easy to do, and it has a surprisingly great camera on it.

Basket of Gold

Linda's "Courtney" rose, 1st bloom

White and pink tulips

Lilac bush in full bloom

This morning I sat outside on the front porch for a few minutes, waiting for Linda to come home from volunteering at the school. While I was sitting there, another hummingbird came up and checked out the red seed feeder. I seriously need to get another hummer feeder and put it out front!


PARTING SHOT


I went out this morning to get a shot of Summer Girl for the blog, but at first I could not find her. I figured that I knew where she was, and I was right. In her traditional hiding spot underneath the Euonymus bush. "Sound up" if you want to hear some pitiful little meows!



That's all for this week, my friends. I'm sorry the blog is so short today, but I had my left eye dilated this morning and I'm having a bit of a tough time seeing. All is well, though, so I will see you here again next week!

No comments: