Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

SPRING IS OFFICIALLY HERE ~~ FINALLY, A HALF-DECENT ONE ~~ WHAT A DIFFERENCE A WEEK MAKES ~~ ARTY PHOTO OF THE WEEK ~~ PARTING SHOT

SPRING IS OFFICIALLY HERE


It is now officially Spring in Yakima because the crocuses are in bloom. They are the first things to bloom each year, and we impatiently await them after the long, colorless winter. Linda got this picture last Wednesday, as the snow was quickly melting away. 


FINALLY, A HALF-DECENT ONE


This past week we had the appearance of the last Super Moon for 2019. It has been cloudy in Yakima lately so I figured we wouldn't get a chance to see it. But, as luck would have it, it was clear that night, so I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to try and get a picture of it. Every other time I have taken a moon shot, it just turned out to be a white blob. This time I finally got a picture which you can tell is of the moon. It's not the best in the world because I should have had my camera on a tripod with the remote shutter release. But it was a quick decision to even try, so I didn't have time to do all that. I am still proud of this picture, and hopefully next time I can do better.

That's no moon...LOL

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A WEEK MAKES


This past Saturday we decided to take a walk over at Randall Park again to see the ducks and geese.  We were out and about that morning so it was kind of on our way home.  It was a very different scene that greeted us compared to just a week before.

Top picture taken 03/16, bottom taken 03/23

The snow had completely disappeared. I knew it had been warm, but I didn't think the frozen-over pond would be totally thawed out, yet it was. The critters were very much enjoying it.

Spring was definitely in the air because there was a great fuss the entire time we were there. I think the younger geese and ducks are pairing up right now, getting ready to set up household on the pond. This couple below was one of the more vocal pairs.



We have noticed when we went to Randall Park in the dead of winter, it seemed like there were way more ducks there than geese. This time, it was the opposite. It's almost like the geese came out of the woodwork! I got some really great shots of them. The first photo is especially nice because you can see the water drops beading up on the goose's feathers. I am not familiar enough with Canada Geese to be able to tell the male from the female, so I don't know which this one is.

Those white specks are water, not dandruff

Here are some more pictures of the geese, along with a sleepy mallard.











ARTY PHOTO OF THE WEEK


I haven't had one of these in a while, and I think it's about time. Linda takes the spot this time with her beautiful photograph below of the view in front of her. This monochromatic shot of the dry grass, fluff from the trees, and a couple of leaves is absolutely stunning. A study in brown.



PARTING SHOT


Summer Girl has been in and out, in and out all morning. The snow is gone and it looks beautiful outside, but once you get there it is still quite chilly. She's having trouble making up her mind whether she wants to be outside in the cold, or inside on top of the big bed. Guess which option won out.



This week's blog is a bit shorter than usual because I'm struggling to type. I injured one of my fingers yesterday and it's really hard typing with only 9 of them! I'm hoping it will be better as time goes on. Join me again next week to find out!






No comments: