Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

A DAY TO REMEMBER

You know, there are certain days that you will always remember where you were and what you were doing on that day, because a very important event took place. Like when John F. Kennedy died, or when men first walked on the moon, or when the Challenger shuttle blew up. Tomorrow is one of those days, February 21st, because that is the day one year ago that Linda's dad died.

Last year the 21st was on a Wednesday, so I was busy working on my blog when Linda's sister Wendy called to give me the heartbreaking news. I drove up to the school where Linda was volunteering and told her, then we frantically made plans to drive down to California. It doesn't seem like it has been that long already, but we all feel like there has been a huge hole in our lives for the past year. Linda made this comment while we were down in California for the memorial, and it sums up the feeling very well: "The ceiling's been lowered, there's no one above us anymore." If nothing else, a passing like this gives you a new awareness of your own mortality.

I have been mulling over what I would say in the blog today for quite some time. Linda's dad was a very important person to me, so I don't think any words would be adequate to express my feelings. Not only was he like a second dad, but he was also a friend, as well as a very interesting person. I got to know him well over the years, and let me tell you, I feel lucky. He was a man who wore many hats...figuratively and literally. I miss him.

I have put together a little slideshow in the hopes that this will convey a sense of the kind of person he was...warm, inviting, interesting and interested, plus fun to be around.




We will always remember you, Dad.





No comments: