Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

JUNE 01, 1967 ~ RECIPE OF THE WEEK ~ MOVIE & DINNER ~ FIRST HARVEST ~ GARDEN HAPPENINGS ~ PARTING SHOT

JUNE 01, 1967


Baby Boomers hit another milestone this past week. "It was 50 years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play." June 01, 1967 was the day the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album was released. And now, 50 years later, almost anyone who grew up in those days would agree it was a turning point in the evolution of the Beatles. It's hard to believe it has been that long ago. I must honestly say that this is my favorite Beatles album, and my favorite track is A Day In The Life. I can remember sitting in our den with headphones on, listening to that album over and over, and reading the lyrics that were printed on the cover...not to mention looking at the album cover, which was a work of art. I had the regular album that was released on that day, but I also got this one below.

Sgt. Pepper's Picture Disc
It's a picture disc, which means it's a vinyl album with the picture embedded into the vinyl. I still have it, in the original wrapping, and it's never been played. The price tag is still on it, which was $11.95. On June 1st, there was a lot of hoopla surrounding this 50-year anniversary. Linda and I watched a special program on PBS last night, "Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution", which explained just how innovative this album was. I knew it was very progressive for the times, but I didn't realize how much so until I watched this program. If you want to see this program, check your local PBS station online to see when it is replaying in your area. I highly recommend it.


RECIPE OF THE WEEK - INFUSED VODKA


For the recipe of the week, I decided to try something different this time. I have always wanted to try infusing some type of liquor with a flavor. Since fresh cherries are showing up in the grocery store now, I figured this was a good time to give it a try. Also, we are having company this weekend so that would be an extra treat to have for cocktail hour. Once again, I visited my favorite food blog, the Kitchn, and found a post for "How to Make Fruit Vodkas" (link here). This was perfect! I got it started on Friday and by Tuesday it was done. Doesn't it look yummy? I haven't tried it yet, so tune in next week to find out how it was.

Infusing Vodka

MOVIE & DINNER


Going to the movies is something that Linda and I don't do very often, but when a good science fiction movie comes out, then we just have to go. We decided not too long ago that we would turn it into a "Movie & Dinner" thing. We always like to go to the matinees, so we go to the showing that gets out close to dinner time, then we swing by Chipotle Mexican Grill and pick up a burrito. Last week we decided to go see "Alien: Covenant." There is much debate online about the Alien movies, but I have always liked all of them, although some more so than others. I recall when I first saw the movie "Alien." It was the scariest movie I had ever seen because I thought, "this could really happen." I mean, if humans ever get to traveling among the stars, something like that could happen. You never know. This newest entry into the Alien universe follows along the same path. There is a lot of action, as well as blood, guts and gore. This is not a movie for the squeamish. I put it right up there with my other favorites in the franchise, and I will be adding it to my wish list once the DVD comes out!


FIRST HARVEST


Every year I take a picture of the first produce that comes out of the garden. This year, as in most years, the first harvest was lettuce. Despite the fact that some kind of critter really loves it, the lettuce is producing well and I was able to pick enough for us to have a salad the other night. The second batch of seeds I planted are coming up nicely, so it appears that we will have lettuce for quite a while now. It's too bad the tomatoes and cucumbers will not be ready to harvest for a month or so. About time we get them, then the lettuce will be gone. But that's the way it goes!

First Harvest!

GARDEN HAPPENINGS


It never ceases to amaze me how fast some seeds can germinate here in Yakima. I planted 3 zucchini and 3 yellow squash seeds on Memorial Day. I just went out to the garden to check on things and lo and behold, there is one zucchini plant poking up, and two yellow squash plants. All this happened overnight because they were not poking up yesterday! The sunflower seeds I planted on 5/26 and 5/29 are already up as well. I have everything planted in the garden now, and I have pulled up all the spurge weeds from the garden proper. Everything is ready for me to put down my straw so it will discourage the growth of new weeds and also help the soil retain moisture. Here are a few pictures of how things are looking.

Zucchini (top) & Yellow Squash (bottom)
Autumn Beauty Sunflowers  


It's always fun to look back on years past to see how the flower garden and the vegetable garden have grown over the years. I had a "memory" pop up on Facebook this week with some pictures of both gardens from 2010. Take a look below.

Flower garden 2010 (top) and 2017 (bottom)

Vegetable garden 2017 (top) and 2010 (bottom)  
While watering the back flower garden the other day, I happened to notice this Praying Mantis egg case on one of our Golden Currant bushes. It looks like the babies have already hatched. Hmm, reminds a little bit of Alien...

Praying Mantis Egg Case

PARTING SHOT


It's hard to get a picture of Summer Girl during the summer months doing anything other than what she does best. Well, at least I tried.

Summer Girl Chilling
That's it for now, hope to see you back next week!




No comments: