Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

MEMORIAL ROCK ~~ MASTER GARDENERS' SALE ~~ SEEDS ~~ REFINISHING WINDOWSILL ~~ GARLIC & LETTUCE ~~ PARTING SHOT

MEMORIAL ROCK


I've been pretty busy this past week, but did manage to get a few rocks painted and hidden around Yakima. My favorite rock that I have painted so far is one that I call my Peeber Rock. I painted it in memory of our sweet little Precious Baby (AKA Peeber). I have it sitting on the table right in front of the urn that holds her ashes. I think I did a pretty good job on this one, but I am by no means an artist!

Peeber Rock

As a side note to this, Linda & I also took apart the cat tree that we built for Precious when we first got her. When we built it, Linda wrote a little note on the bottom piece of wood. We are keeping that part of it, and I have put it up in our garage so we can see it when we drive in and out.

The Peeber Plaque

MASTER GARDENERS' SALE


Last Friday our local chapter of the Master Gardeners Organization held their annual plant sale. We have gone to this sale almost every year since we moved here. Since I am now retired, I was able to go earlier than usual. The sale starts at 8:00. I wanted to go early so I could be sure and get the plants that I wanted, because in years past they would be sold out of some things by the afternoon. So anyway, I got there at 8:30 and the place was packed! Everyone was having to park along the street for blocks around the sale. I immediately headed straight for the vegetable plants, which was no mean feat since it was wall-to-wall people. The main thing I wanted to get was basil plants so I could make pesto for Linda all summer long, and put some up in the freezer for winter. Fortunately, I was able to get some really nice basil plants. I also got a few pepper plants, cucumbers, and of course I had to get at least one tomato plant. I grabbed a dill plant and a mint plant to round out the herb garden, then headed for the checkout. But first had to get in this long line to wait to get my plants counted and receive a ticket. Then I went on to the pay station. It really didn't take too long, but I determined that I would go back with Linda that afternoon to get a few more things. We did just that, and it was a much more pleasant experience. Below is a picture of the plants that we bought (plus a couple I already had). The main reason to go to the Master Gardeners' sale (apart from supporting the organization) is that their plants are very reasonably priced.

Plants we got at the sale (plus a couple more)

SEEDS


The seeds I planted on 4/22 are finally coming up! All of the Jimmy Nardello Shishito pepper seeds came up except one, and most of the Tam Jalapeno seeds have come up, too. I saw a couple of Tam Jalapenos just starting to poke up this morning, so those are still coming up. So far, NONE of the Zavory Habanero seeds have sprouted. I will be so disappointed if none of them sprout as this is the one plant that I so much wanted to try this year. I have had Red Habanero plants for the past few years, but those peppers are so dang hot I can't figure out what to do with them. Besides putting them in hot sauce or BBQ sauce, I really don't know what else I can make because you have to add a lot of other things to bring the heat down to a tolerable level. If any of my Zavory Habanero seeds do come up and the plant actually bears fruit, then I would be able to grill them or make poppers out of them. Here is how all of the peppers I am planning to grow stack up on the Scoville scale, which is a scale that measures the heat of peppers.

Peppers I am growing this year:
King of the North Bell = 0
Jimmy Nardello Shishito = 0
Tequila Sunrise = 0
Zavory Habanero = 100
Sweet Banana = 900
Tam Jalapeno = 1,500
Anaheim = 2,500
Regular Jalapeno = 10,000

I am not growing these peppers below, but I thought I would include them for comparison:
Red Habanero =  400,000
Carolina Reaper (hottest pepper in the world) = 2,200,000

Here is the link to Pepperheads For Life website, where I got the above information. Below is a picture showing the progress of my seeds.

The two empty rows are the Zavory Habanero

REFINISHING WINDOWSILL


My big project for this week, which I haven't quite finished yet, is refinishing the windowsill above our kitchen sink. I have been meaning to do this for years but never got around to it. Now, since I have the time, I couldn't procrastinate any longer. It really hasn't been a hard job so far, basically just a matter of gathering the right supplies and tools. The actual sanding only took a few minutes, and I finally got to use my Ryobi Corner Cat Sander that my sister gave me for Christmas a few years ago. The waiting around for the stain and polyurethane to dry is the hardest part! Here is how it looks right now, too bad I didn't take a "before" picture.

Windowsill after 2nd coat of Polyurethane

GARLIC & LETTUCE


Here is a picture to give you a quick update on how the garlic and lettuce plants are doing. I cannot wait until we have fresh lettuce for salads!

Top: Garlic   Bottom: Lettuce

PARTING SHOT


Wow, it has been a busy week! I don't have a Recipe of the Week this time because I really didn't have a chance to do a new recipe. But, I am making a new pizza dough recipe tonight with my Italian Antimo Caputo 00 Flour, so I will have that for next week's recipe. Of course, you know when you see the Summer Girl, you are at the end of my blog post. This is Summer Girl relaxing in one of her favorite spots in the garden. I am sure once I get everything planted, she will have many more favorite spots. I hope everyone has a good rest-of-the-week and an outstanding weekend! Join me again next Wednesday for more exciting pictures of plants (heehee)!!

Chillaxing!




No comments: